The Journey Home

The Journey Home
Jesus is the Way Home

Followers

Friday, December 25, 2009

Winds of Adversity

It is Christmas Eve and Mary and I sit in the dark. High winds have taken down a tree and cut off our power. Like the tree, some people can’t take the winds of adversity but they come to us all. If you are wise you can prepare for what is expected. Mary and I just go back to our childhood and light the kerosene lamps that hang on our wall. I went through several Christmases in my childhood without electricity. It is just no big deal. As I write this I am reminded that many of my friends in Haiti don’t have electricity, ever. As some of us have learned, there is more than one kind of darkness. A darkness of the soul and spirit is the worst kind of all. Dark hearts where there is no love or forgiveness, dark hearts where life is a chore and hope is too far away to see. I guess you could say that Mary and I are in the dark but living in the light, the kind of light which cannot be extinguished by a fallen tree, light from another world, light born on Christmas day, light in the person of Jesus Christ the Savior of the world. We do not have to sit in spiritual darkness another moment of our lives. He is the Light and He is the Light of men. His Light is always on. Open your eyes and you will see.

1 comment:

  1. And thanks for being like Motel 6 and leaving the LIGHT on for so many of us as we make our way through life. Merry Christmas to both you and Mary, real heroes of the faith!

    ReplyDelete