The Journey Home

The Journey Home
Jesus is the Way Home

Followers

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Everybody needs a staff.

Heb 11:21 "By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff."
The leaning on the top of his staff got my attention. In recent years some people have gotten all bent out of shape because the worship services in their Church didn't meet their expectation. The music was bad, the preaching was too long or we stood on our feet when we could have been sitting on a soft seat. I have learned that worship is not about a place but the attitude of our hearts. You can worship anywhere and anytime. My personal worship of God is not about the right music or an inspiring sermon. As I take my walk in the woods behind my house with my hiking stick in hand, the sermon is the beauty of the creation of His hand and the music is the songs He put in the beak of a bird. Like Jacob, I too lean on my stick and worship. I can't help it. jfs

2 comments:

  1. And the staff is a journal to the Middle Easterner, yes a personal diary of God's faithfulness, in that a man of the Bible would begin carving reminders from the bottom of the staff when he was young, and all the way to the top when he was old. The carvings were to remind him how God had kept his promises over a lifetime, so as he leaned on His staff and worshipped, he was leaning on the proven promises of His God (or so I've been told.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worship - Lord help me to 'get it right' every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete