The Journey Home

The Journey Home
Jesus is the Way Home

Followers

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Redneck Lessons

I confess, I am a redneck and proud to be one. I know redneck jokes are in these days and they are not politically correct, but I am not into political correctness. Now before you look down your nose at us rednecks, there are a few things you should know. If you eat, you eat because a redneck has spent his or her days working on the farm in the sunshine. Farmers have rednecks because they work long days in the sun so the rest of us can feed our face. My informative years were spent on the farm working in the fields of watermelons and corn. It was difficult not to get a sunburned neck as you worked to keep the weeds from choking out the fruit bearing plants. I know farming has changed, but I am glad I grew up in a time when the food you ate came from the hard work of a redneck. The lessons I learned are cherished ‘till this day. A fruitful harvest does not come easy. Things don’t just grow on their own. In a fallen world the weeds will take over, they have to be confronted. Grapes must have arbors and arbor building is not fun. Stable manure doesn’t smell like roses, but it will make watermelons grow. Our Lord expects a harvest from all of us, and if we work in the SON we might become a Christian Redneck. Nothing will grow without the SON, “Without ME you can do nothing,” and when we allow Him, He will use life’s manure to help make us more fruitful. jfs

3 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be safe to say that our Lord had blood on his neck when He stuck it out to save us? I praise the name of our Redemmer's Blood-red neck, head, wrists, feet, and side. Red was the color of The Blood that flowed for our forgiveness. Humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using "life's manure" as a fertilizer for my soul. Now THAT's a redneck interpretation of James 1:1-4 if I ever heard one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what are you supposed to do with all that crud life dumps on you? I once bought a sack of the stinky stuff at the local farm store. On the outside of the sack, it said, "Will grow roses," It could have said, will also grow weeds. What it grows, depends on what is planted in your heart.jfs

    ReplyDelete