The Journey Home

The Journey Home
Jesus is the Way Home

Followers

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Glorious Future

1Co 2:9 But as it is written: Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."
When I was a boy growing up and occasionally going to Church services, I was never impressed with the image the Church gave me of heaven. They talked and sang about gold streets and pearl gates, crowns and robes and eternal worship services. What excited me was fishing at the creek, swimming in the river, big trees, butterflies and birds, and as for attire, I liked blue jeans and caps, no robe or crowns for me. Seriously considering the heat of the other place, I decided I would just have to live in town and wear the robe. And then I found the above verse. It gives me permission to dream of what heaven will really be like. It says we have never seen or heard anything on this earth which can compare to heaven. It challenges my imagination and gives me permission to think of the things which are important to me. The phrase, “nor have entered into the heart of man” says to me, it will be better than anything I can dream up. Now that is an open invitation to a dreamer like me. I can imagine green grass, giant trees, clear streams, flowers, birds and butterflies, grapes, and watermelons, fruit trees loaded with fruit, (no worms) and if I want a peach from the top of the tree I will just fly up and get it. If you don’t like my dreaming, then do your own, but I see the dogs I have loved and cared for running across a green meadow greeting me with slobbery kisses. It is my kind of place and I don’t want to miss it. Oh! don’t overlook the last phrase, “for those who love Him.” It is the most important part. Heaven is not for those who go to Church and do good, it is not for the self-righteous, but simply for “those who love Him.” Do You? jfs

1 comment: