The Journey Home

The Journey Home
Jesus is the Way Home

Followers

Monday, July 18, 2011

Wasting Time?

“Don’t waste your time“ is burned into our brains like a flashing neon sign, often flashing when we sit down to rest. The phrase suggests that we should be busy doing something worthwhile. At 72 I have pulled the plug on that annoying sign. Who has the right to say what wasting time is anyway? We have also heard this one, “Idleness is the Devils workshop.” Being busy can also be the Devils workshop. Too busy to pray or listen to your hurting child, too busy to spend time with our spouse. So if you waste time, where does it go? If you save time, what do you do with it when you have saved it? You know what a lot of this stuff is all about? It is about other people trying to control your life. I do as much sitting on my deck as I can and what do I do when I sit there—nothing. How is that for wasting time? Maybe you can do alright hurrying from one project to another and pride yourself in the fact that you don’t waste time. My take is that you may be a big time waster because what you are doing doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. No man is wasting time when you watch and pray and you can do that in a chair. Think I will waste a little time today. Jfs


Eph 5:16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

2 comments:

  1. You are a hero of the faith to me... This post is part of the reason why. Thanks for being like Jesus, in that, you are one who wants to see the captives set free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What to do with saved time? That's a good question. I like your post.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete