The Journey Home

The Journey Home
Jesus is the Way Home

Followers

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Letting Go

Much of my life I have heard the term, “Letting Go.” Truth is, I never thought much about it. As a young person you think about acquiring, reaching for your goals, finishing school, getting the degree. In your mind life is ahead of you. Dreams become realities and letting go is the last thing on your mind. Something happens along the way Suddenly you realize much of your life is behind you and the stuff you worked for does not mean as much as it once did.

My dream was to become a pilot--to soar among the clouds, to feel the exhilaration of turning “final,” to look down on the green earth. My dream did come true and for that I am very thankful, but dreams all come to an end.
Sooner or later you wake up and the dream is gone. One of the sad days of my life was selling my airplane. It was like loosing an old friend. Truth is, I was more excited the day I got my pilots license than the day I received my college degree. Flying was my passion, college was work. I am now turning final in my life--it is the season of letting go. Everyday as I walk in the woods behind my house I see leaves let go and twirl their way to the ground. They furnish the nourishment for the next generation. I hope that is true for me. I pray as I let go of all the stuff that makes this life exciting that my life will nourish my children and grandchildren. Knowing when to let go is important. I want to do it on my own, I don’t want life to take it from me. When the time comes I want to voluntarily let go. I want to be able to say with Paul, “I have finished MY course….” Letting go of the temporal to gain the eternal is a good thing.

A glance backwards now and then is good, but you cannot live life looking back. Memories are not life. It is what is ahead that matters most.
I hold on to the promise, “Eye has not seen nor ear heard what the Lord has in store for those who love him.” I do. Do you? jfs

2Ti 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
1Co 2:9 But as it is written: Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."

1 comment:

  1. My Dear Brother... What a touching post today. So true. So real. So vulnerable. And the picture of your path encourages my soul and makes me wish I could have a prayer walk with you and Jesus, and Tramp there. You are loved, a real-life hero of the faith to me. And thanks for showing me Jesus, The Path!

    ReplyDelete